Sunday, October 12, 2008

UPnP Control Prototype



After a full day of hacking (including a couple of updates to libraries, SDKs, and OS patching) I have got a (f'ugly) application that;

  1. looks at my network for UPnP devices
  2. finds those that look like Sonos zones and puts them in a dropdown
  3. queries the queue of the selected device and displays back meta data
  4. displays the album art of the current track
I have learnt a whole metric ass-ton about;
  • Xcode
  • Objective C pointers
  • XML Parsing in Obj C
  • UPnP
  • Cocoa garbage collection
  • Initialisation ordering in Cocoa
Tomorrow I am going to see if I can cross compile and port it onto the iPhone and then it's really going to get complicated when I start implementing the control operations. Oh and of course I will have a whole new GUI framework to learn. again.

0 comments: