Thursday, December 27, 2007

Jailbreaking

So, after more than a few temporary brickings I think its about time I documented my process for getting my iPod Touch to bend to my iron will.

  1. Get hold of the 1.1.1 firmware from the apple download
  2. Downgrade firmware using iTunes.
    1. Plug in the iPod
    2. Go to the sync screen in iTunes, alt (option) click on check for updates.
    3. browse to the downloaded firmware
    4. wait some time
  3. Jailbreak it. Using mobile safari go to http://jailbreakme.com, scroll to the bottom and install the AppSnap.
  4. Prepare it for a 1.1.2 update. In the newly aquired installer - Tweaks->OktoPrep
  5. Grab the touchfree 1.1.2 jailbreak suite
  6. open iTunes and update to 1.1.2
  7. Time passes...
  8. Close iTunes, leave the iPod connected
  9. Run the jailbreak.jar from the touchfree suite. Check the install ssh box and set a new root password.
With that all done now add in the Maps.app and the Mail.app.
  1. In the installer add "repo.us.to" to the sources.
  2. Install the mapsPrep and mailPrep packages from the iPhone 1.1.2 directory, restart springboard by clicking home button.
  3. Install the maps an mail packages.
Right now all I have to do is get the customize app working without it totally fucking up all the work so far. What I need is a way to easily back up an image of the working setup that I can restore to.

0 comments: