Monday, April 23, 2007

Further musings on aggression

I have been trying to do some analysis of the successful aggressive game I played last night. I know the sample size is too small at the minute but here is a nice graph showing what % of the time I raised pre flop if first to act and from what position.

The series at the left that has no label shows the % of times I won the pot when raising from that position. Note that actual starting hands here are irrelevant.

What this shows is that button raises were way less successful than late middle position raises. I think this is for a couple of reasons.

  1. On the button the number of times you are first in is much reduced.
  2. Everyone expects the button to steal.
Not only was I unable to make as many moves from the button but they were only successful 25% of the time compared to 34.5% from 3 off the button and 31.25% in the cut off. Weirdly the hijack had a really low success rate of 18% of course this is just one game so its wrong to read too much into it just yet.

0 comments: